Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Inspiration #9: Reading Scripts

Today I spent a little time reading scripts online and learning about formatting.  As I'm slogging through my NaNoWriMo manuscript, I'm (surprisingly) looking ahead to Script Frenzy and deciding whether it's something I'd like to do in April.  I'm undecided for a few reasons, including a.) I don't know much about script writing, b.) I'll only have one hand to type with thanks to shoulder surgery, c.) I have my hands full writing this novel, and d.) I don't have any excellent ideas right now.  But at the same time, I would absolutely love to try my hand at writing a stage play.

Writers control novels very closely, engineering the reader's experience from beginning to end.  Scripts are more living documents, left open to a lot of interpretation by actors and directors so the final product is a confluence of many artists' work.  Just like I'd love to get a book published someday, I think seeing a play performed -- even in the world's smallest venue -- would be a great achievement.

The only question is, should I choose this April to start writing?

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment