Sunday, February 28, 2010

Inspiration #28: Sticking With Something

Sometimes sticking with something is much harder than it sounds.  I have a lot of trouble sticking with things, and that can put me in a rut.  But I stuck with these 28 days of blog posts, and look!  I have a lot of new material to expand on in future months.  Hopefully you've enjoyed this little window into my life as well.

Maybe entirely coincidentally, I've managed to stick with a few other things lately, too.  I've played the piano every single day for the past nine days (if I get to 21 it's a bona fide habit, right?).  I've spent the past week being pretty dedicated to sorting through, cleaning out, and generally minimizing stuff around the house.  This may not sound like much, but I often have a lot of trouble moving past the "I should really..." stage, where I spend a day or two on something and never pick it up again.  When I manage to keep up with a pursuit long enough to see the positive results of my efforts, it opens my eyes to a whole new world.  I'm discovering that I actually can play the piano.  I filled the trunk of my car with stuff to take to the thrift store today, and my living space is beginning to look and feel different (better).  I am creating spaces where I feel good about living and working.

Last but not least, four months after National Novel Writing Month began, I'm still writing a novel.  My attention span, combined with my sometimes-crippling perfectionism, make personal investment kind of hard to get out of me sometimes.  But somehow I've kept it going, and I'm connecting the pathways in my brain that know sustained effort can bring really gratifying results.

Hopefully this trend will continue and some months from now I'll be sending my manuscript away in the mail, playing the piano and singing at the same time (far harder than it looks!), and living in a comfortable and uncluttered house.  Wouldn't that be nice?

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment