Friday, February 12, 2010

Inspiration #12: Minimalism


We must first identify what's most important to us, what we're passionate about, what we want to spend our time on. And then we must focus on those things first.
But the distractions. They get in the way of this focusing, no?
-- mnmlist

Sometimes I think I work best with lots of distractions, when multi-tasking and/or facing a lot of demands.  We all went back to work today, and quite ironically that's when I finally felt productive and motivated and ready to work hard on my manuscript.  My life routine helps me focus, helps me prioritize important work -- because I have to.  Too much down time makes me listless, unmotivated.

At the same time, clearing distractions is essential: setting in-game alarms to make me aware of how much time I'm spending logged into World of Warcraft, grabbing my stack of note cards, and really getting ready to work.  The only real progress I made on my editing this week has been when I disappeared to my writing room with my notes and disabled the wireless adapter on my laptop.  No Skype, no Google Talk, no Facebook, no Script Frenzy information pages, no Twitter.  It's then that I worked peacefully and diligently, focusing on the task at hand until my time was up.
 

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment