Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Seeing, Believing, and Singing a Little Song

Whenever I'm using my sick time I always feel like it should be a special gift, some paid time to just do my thing. Too bad needing time off from work generally means, well...I'm not well enough to work.

As it turns out, recovering from surgery takes a lot out of you.  Noted.  But I've had this entry brewing in Evernote for a week now and I feel like it's time to get back into the swing of things just a little.

While vacationing in Disney World with friends and husband, I decided to audition for the American Idol Experience attraction.  This was one of those spur of the moment decisions that left me too little time for adequate preparation, but I knew deep down I'd be disappointed if I didn't go for it.

The rundown: with no prep time I had to make a safe choice, so the song didn't show off much besides my ability to pick a song I could sing.  Oh well.  More importantly, it was the first legitimate audition room I'd set foot in in at least seven or eight years.  Secretly, I don't think I audition well.  I do well at acting nonchalant all the way until the first note.  Then I have trouble seeing it as just another performance and get a little (or a lot) nervous.

Anyhow, that 30 second spot in front of the casting agent was way important for me.  Sure, she gave me good feedback after -- that my instrumental music background gives me great breath control and a decent ear, but I don't have quite the depth and breadth of vocal experience they're looking for -- but I'd already proven all I needed to.  In that moment, I made myself believe.  I proved I could do it.


Since then I've felt different, better, more inspired to keep at it.  More comfortable with the idea of singing with my friends, making mistakes, starting one of those ridiculous YouTube-based bands that seem to be all the rage.


This is something I've been watching very closely on the real American Idol, too.  I think it could decide who wins the competition.  Conviction and a genuine belief in oneself is perhaps the most important ingredient when you're talking about being an artist -- and probably a successful person, too.  Once you know, accept, and like who you are, once you feel good about putting that out there and being bold, others can't help but believe right along with you.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment