Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Changing Place

Last week, I got a text message from a neighbor and friend asking if I'd like to keep her company on her porch. She was writing a research paper, so I grabbed my laptop and headed over to join her. Our neighborhood is full of brick rowhomes with fantastic covered porches, perfect for writing or enjoying wine and cheese. In fact, the porch is one of my favorite features in (or out) of the house.

looking down the row of porchesLittle did I know, this would kick off several similar gatherings, some on my porch, some on hers. For the first time in months, I was spending significant time editing my manuscript with what seemed like hardly any effort to sit down and get focused.

Sometimes, changing your venue can work wonders for your creative process. For months, I've focused on making my creative space somewhere I feel great about. Sometimes, getting out of that space and writing with a friend, at a coffee shop, or on the porch can yield just as much productivity and good work.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment