Sunday, August 8, 2010

Writing Together, But Alone First

I recently got a book from the library called Writing Alone, Writing Together: A Guide for Writers and Writing Groups. I have some ideas floating around my head for an urban writers' circle, but I want to do it right. I don't have a particularly vast amount of time to waste on something that's never going to get off the ground.

So far, though, the first portion of the book discusses writing practice for working alone—not unlike Writing Down the Bones, my perennial favorite writing book.

The author, Judy Reeves, points out what many of us know already: the key to become a real and true writer (and one who writes, no less) isn't getting published or writing something great, it's making time to write several times a week. This passage, which draws from prominent psychologists/researchers, gave me a lot to chew on:
The most important talent may be the talent for practice itself...the most important role that innate factors play may be in a person's willingness to engage in sustained training.
 Such a simple concept, but it gives any kind of artist a lot to think about.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment