Thursday, September 2, 2010

Podcasts and Urban Commutes

MTA signI love my commute. Two years ago I decided to sell my car in favor of all the other urban forms of transportation: walking, biking, bus, cab, or a ride offered by a kind friend or coworker. I haven't regretted it for a second, except on the rare midwinter evenings when I'm standing outside in the dark, having left work late, and waiting in sub-20 degree weather for a bus that's 40 minutes overdue.

Carless life affords a writer far more opportunities for observing the world, and it frees up time to pay attention to leisure activities. Over these quiet summer months when the buses haven't been packed with high school students, I've enjoyed reading on my way to work. Now that transit is crowded again I've taken to listening to podcasts while waiting for and riding the bus.

A good podcast can be hard to find, but I've had great experiences with two so far. The first actually came from my job: we produced a series of oral histories from old-time Baltimore residents, which was perfect for my bus ride. It really set the tone as I squished myself onto the bus and watched the neighborhoods go by my window. If you want to share them with me and see what I promote at my day job, check out the Greater Homewood Voices Podcast at the iTunes store.

I'm also smitten of late with the Writer's Almanac Podcast with Garrison Keillor. Poetry isn't my style, but that doesn't change my feelings one bit. Go read Drugstore by Carl Dennis and then subscribe to the podcast. It's a daily treat.

Do you listen to any podcasts? I need to broaden my horizons, so please suggest anything you think I might like!

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment