Sunday, May 23, 2010

Accepting Rust

So a lot of exciting things are going on!  As a brief summary, I checked another item off my list of things I absolutely have to do in 2010 by seeing CRUMBLE (Lay Me Down, Justin Timberlake) at Single Carrot Theatre on Thursday.  I liked the play and thought it was well-executed on all fronts, so nothing but good news there.

In other good news, Piano Day is almost upon us!  I'm fulfilling a lifelong dream on Wednesday, when I'm expecting an antique piano to arrive in my dining room.  There will be a post about the piano's history, plus photos of its arrival.  Yay!

However, before I get into all that (there will be time enough midweek), I've been thinking lately about perfectionism, aptitude, and attitude when it comes to creative work.  I've said it before and I'll probably say it many more times: I struggle with perfectionism as an impediment to my work.

Despite all I've said about it, though, I've never mentioned the one case where aptitude won out against perfectionism in my life.  When I was nine years old, I decided to learn to play the flute.  It wasn't my first instrument or my last, but it was by far my best.  For many years, I planned on playing my flute as a career, getting a BFA in music performance and signing on with a major symphony orchestra.

The flute was/is the one art I have ever felt, deep in my heart, set me apart from the crowd in a big way.  Yes, I gave poor auditions and yes, I played obvious wrong notes sometimes.  But I never felt I had met my match among my peers.  This was something I felt unequivocally great at--when I tried to be the best, I was.

Abandoned Gas Stations, Lehigh Valley (#1324)However, by virtue of self-doubt (as always, I wondered if I had the focus) and/or listening to other people, I didn't get that music degree.  To this day, I gravitate toward people with performing arts degrees because I feel I relate to them on some basic level, but if I chime in too much I end up feeling like an outsider.  A fake.  A wannabe.  After all, anyone can be a big fish in a small pond.  Every teenager wants to take the stage for thousands of people.  But I never really showed the world what I had.

At the same time, I know few people with performing arts degrees who have made it their primary career.  In fact, if I look at my two closest friends with BFAs in performance, both are working for non-profit organizations, just like me.  It's possible--maybe even likely--that I would have ended up in the very same place with or without the music degree I always wanted.

These days, I spend a lot of time singing and playing the piano, mostly because it's a great solo combination. I don't need to rely on a group of fellow performers to give me context.  But I can't help but wonder if falling in love with being a mediocre singer is, in some sense, an easy way out.  Not that I don't enjoy or shouldn't do those things, but no one is ever going to watch me sing and approach me afterward to say "that was incredible.  Really incredible."

Abandoned Buildings, Lehigh ValleyAnd by the same token, it hurts a lot to know that at this point, no one's going to say that after seeing me perform on anything.  Not playing for four years while I went to college really set me back, and it's hard to get out my flute without focusing more on what's not there than what is.

I'd like to touch on this again, and more: the knowledge that I'm free to do anything I want, but I'm often impeded by the feeling that I've turned my back on something fundamentally important in my life.  I really need to own the spot I'm in and make it what I want, but that's hard work indeed for a self-critical perfectionist like me.  I'm interested to know if this is a common struggle for people who devote a lot of energy to a creative art in their younger years, only to be set back by a demanding degree program, a lack of a piano or fellow musicians, or a pure and simple lapse.  Everything comes back eventually, but it's hard to face the reality at first.  It's hard to realize you've let a great tool get rusty.

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. If you really want to keep playing your flute why don't you try and find a group like you were with at DelVal? Or have you joined a local church? Look for one like you grew up in that has an ensemble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it's all a balance. I was actually considering auditioning for the JHU symphony orchestra, but didn't want to make such a commitment with my surgery so imminent. I'm not sure what I'll do this September.

    The other thing is, I'm drawn to instruments like the piano because solitary practice isn't *just* practice. It can be an end and a means because I can use the piano to accompany my singing (eventually). So I think I also need to consider what's most fulfilling to me now, and why. The reality is I just don't have time to do *everything*, so I need to figure out what's pushing me toward the things I'm doing now.

    ReplyDelete