Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Missing Writing Marathons

NaNoWriMo is getting both harder and easier: too much thinking, too little writing, too much doubt, but then realizing I only have 12,400 words left as I write this. Compared to how far I've come, that's really nothing. Plus, tonight's 2,000 words came easily, which is always encouraging.

The thing is, a person can't accomplish something like this alone. As someone who once believed (and still sometimes believes) all my strength and potential came from within, I feel like this is a valuable lesson. Not only have I learned I can actually do anything I put my mind to (although I secretly knew that already), I've learned I need conversation, inspiration, encouragement.

Not all encouraging words are the same with seven days left in the challenge, either. The time has passed for "we'll be proud of you no matter what." At this point I need someone to kick my ass a little bit, tell me "hey, you set a goal and you are totally capable of achieving it. You've come too far for me to watch you fall short now."

Or, best of all, "let's sit down and write together." What I wouldn't give for a writing marathon with my best friend before this is all over. Throwing words down on the page recklessly. Reading aloud every 15 minutes and impressing each other, ourselves. I feel like that's the relationship I need right now. I miss the communal creativity, discovering pieces of each other, spouting off topics and running with them, looking back satisfied at how many pages we'd filled. It's been years since I did something like this, either because I wasn't writing enough or because I didn't have anyone nearby to write with.

So this month I learned (again) how important it is to reach out in times of creative need. I need to reach out now, somehow, if only just a little bit during this holiday weekend. I need to maintain my creative momentum, and that's not always something we can do alone.

We'll see how these last few days go. Either way, I'm looking forward to posting the final verdict on December 1. It should be an exciting race to the finish line!

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. That kind of groupthink can be very helpful. And you're certainly right that when a supportive community of friends is encouraging to the right extent, and demanding to the right extent, excellent can be achieved. So, GET TO IT, PAUL!!! Only 12,400 words left. We will take not one word less than 50,000! And I can't wait to see it once you're completed. Keep pushing, you'll make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tyson! =D

    The next challenge, I think, will be letting those favorite friends SEE my manuscript in its draft form. Eeek, scary! I guarantee I'll keep trying to downplay it like, "oh, well, remember it's a draft so it probably isn't perfect, try to ignore that it isn't perfect..."

    ReplyDelete