Monday, August 10, 2009

Ebb and flow.

Seeing art spaces, taking in art and music, and generally challenging myself in a community of other artists inspires me to no end. Give me an artist's studio, an empty stage, a karaoke bar, a darkroom...I just want to CREATE.

The problem is, sometimes everyday life doesn't inspire at quite that level. I can easily put off a trip to the BMA, buying tickets to a show, entering my work in a juried exhibition, or setting up a date to play piano and sing with a friend. And by easily, I mean it's easier than challenging myself -- even though I love to challenge myself. And inspiration can be so fleeting, it can slip away so fast that by the time I get home and decide to sit down an act on it...it's gone. Playing World of Warcraft after a long day at work seems SO much easier than looking up exhibitions or putting choir practice on my calendar.

It's so tough to strike that balance, to know when to push and when to sit back and cut myself a break. Because after all, as creative people we feel all the time like we should be divinely inspired, that we should never have to force or cajole ourselves into creating. It's just WHAT WE DO. But it's not. Creating art is a habit, and just like any good habit, it takes some maintenance.

My trouble is, when life gets too busy and stressful, how can I maintain my creativity when it's tough just to get dinner on the table? And if I didn't have any stress or busybusy in my life, would I still find excuses to slack off?

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment